An EAL and literacy development specialist, Sofia has worked across the globe, developing practical and creative classroom strategies to support the language development of bilingual students.
With over 20 years of experience in classroom teaching, teacher development and school improvement, Sofia is an accomplished facilitator. She is an accredited Language and Literacy Across the Curriculum (LILAC), How Language Works (HLW) and Language, Literacy and Learning (LLL) trainer.
She has a Postgraduate Certificate in Consultancy for Leadership Development from the Institute of Education in London, a Member of the Chartered College of Teaching and a Founding Fellow of the Chartered College of Teaching. A lecturer for the M.Ed in Bilingualism in Education at Birmingham University, Sofia delivers highly practical and theory-grounded training that aims to develop teacher confidence in bilingual settings. Her areas of expertise include: English as an additional language and academic literacy development. Sofia is a regular contributor to both national and international conferences on language and literacy.
- Lecturer in Bilingualism in Education, University of Birmingham
- Associate Consultant, NASSEA
- Outstanding Teaching Intervention (OTI) Trainer, Osiris Education
- In-school Language and Literacy Coach and Trainer
- Accredited Language in Literacy Across the Curriculum (LILAC) Trainer
- Accredited How Language Works (HLW) Trainer
- British Council EAL Nexus Project Manager
- British Council EAL Nexus CPD Co-ordinator
- Learning Consultant (EMA), London Borough of Enfield
- Learning & Teaching Adviser, Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames
- Associate Teaching and Learning Consultant, London Borough of Brent
- Consultant for Ethnic Minority Achievement (primary/secondary), London Borough of Barnet
- Refugee and New Arrivals Consultant for London Challenge Keys to Success (K2S) Schools
- Acting Regional Adviser, New Arrivals Excellence Programme, Department for Children, Schools and Families (DCSF)
- Consultant for Language and Literacy across the Curriculum
- Head of Ethnic Minority Achievement, North Westminster Community School
Tel: (00 44) 07951 091 078